Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Best Joke

Another Part of CHAPTER FOUR
There is a bunch of stuff that happens in the middle of this and the tent stuff that actually ties together. When the hard copy of the book comes out and it has all the words from all the stories it will make sense.

The other day I heard one of the best jokes ever. I even had the opportunity to play a small role in the punch line. But I don't want to take too much credit. Mostly I just listened and observed. Here I will try to retell it in a way that is both funny and instructional. This works really well if the person you are telling the joke to has kids. Parents have a perspective that helps them understand this kind of humor.

Here's what you do. If you see someone with their child, go and sit by them and strike up a mild conversation. Be patient and before long the parent will inevitably say something about the child's development. And as soon as they do you say, "Oh he or she is so advanced." At first it might not sound funny but with a little patience and luck it will pay off. And here's how. If good fortune is on your side some one else will join the conversation within a few moments and when they do you can just casually slip in the punch line of the joke. Like so, "One of my favorite things to say when ever anyone is talking to me about their kids is that they are so advanced. It's like my little joke." Be sure to say it loud enough that the person you just played the joke on can hear it. That way they get to share in the punch line pay off.

3 comments:

Paul Ferney said...

you are making fun of me.


it really is a funny joke.

Paul Ferney said...

that was me, jordan--not paul.

Mark Elliot said...

Jordan,
You are right. That really is a funny joke. You have an advanced sense of humor.